Sunday 14 February 2010

Pokhara - Happy valentines day!

After our one day quick stop in Varanasi we caught the 7:55 train north to Gorukpur junction. From there we caught a local bus which took us to Sonauli. At Sonauli we checked out of India and walked across the border into Nepal. Well Eri got let into Nepal, I however had to go back to India as I had been given an entry stamp in my passport upon leaving India instead of exit stamp. Having got the correct stamp from the Indian officials I then rejoined Eri in Nepal and we were on our way to a hotel for the night. The following morning we caught the 6:45 bus/coach for our 9 hour journey to Pokhara. The journey on the way was beautiful. It was only 200 kilometres, but because we were zigzagging our way up, down and around Himalayan mountains it took a long time. Plus we had many stops to pick up and drop people off on the way. We arrived at 4pm and were met by a car from our hotel that we had booked. Pokhara is beautiful, there is a lake in the centre and it is surrounded by forested hills and the giant snow capped mountains loom large in the background. Nepal is so much different to India and we love it already. The place is much cleaner, less populated, less busy, much more scenic and people don't stare and gawp at you (or try to charge you loads more). I'm afraid that at this moment in time neither of us want to return to India. Perhaps that will change in time, but that is how we feel at the moment.

Pokhara is very much geared up for trekking and you can carry out many activities from trekking to para-gliding. We plan to go trekking, but at this moment in time it is not possible for me to attempt this as I have brought a friend with me from India. His name is Amoebic dysentery!!!! I went to see a doctor yesterday and after examining me and carrying out some tests he gave me the diagnosis and 4 different types of tablets plus a strict diet of bland tasteless foods. This would explain why I have been ill on and off for the past month!!! So its rest for me for at least another 4 days before I am able to go off into the wild :-(

But there isn't a better place to relax than here. Tomorrow we are going to hire a rowing boat and relax on the lake.

No comments: